Home Tel: 400-998-0810

Hot Topic

Duty free declaration of personal belonging to the US Customs

You may import furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, artwork and similar household furnishings for your personal use free of duty.  To be eligible for duty-free exemption, the articles must have either been available for your use or used in a household where you were a resident for one year.  The year of use does not need to be continuous, nor does it need to be the year immediately before the date of importation.  Personal and household effects entitled to duty-free entry need not accompany you to the United States; you may have them shipped to your U.S. address at a later time if you choose. Your shipment of personal and/or household goods must be cleared through Customs at its first port of arrival, unless you have made arrangements with a foreign freight forwarder to have your effects sent in Customs custody in-bond from the port of arrival to a more convenient port of entry for clearance. (Ask your moving company if they offer this service.)
Household effects from the country where these effects were used, and meeting the above criteria, may be entered into the United States duty-free within 10 years after your initial arrival in the United States as a legal resident.
Personal effects may be shipped or mailed to you at a later date.  The package should be marked “Used Personal Effects” and must have been in your possession prior to your entry into the United States.  Anything included in the package that is new may be dutiable.